Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Tell-Tale Heart

1) Who arethe protagonist and antagonist? How do you know?

In the story I would say that the narrator of the story is the protagonist as he is the story's main character and the one who drives the action of the plot forward. The old man, who is a character, is the antagonist because he is portayed as the villian or someone who is in conflict with the narrator.

2) What is the conflict or struggle that must be resolved?

The conflict or struggle that must be resolved is to carry out the act of murdering the old man because of the way he stared at the narrator.
"I loved the old man. He had never wronged me. He had never given me insult. For his gold I had no desire. I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! he had the eye of a vulture-- a plae blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees--very gradually--I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever."

So the problem wasn't the old man himself or his attitude towards the narrator but the fact that the man had a weird looking eye that the narrator hated.

3) Identify the climax. And how, in the climax, is the conflict ultimately resolved?

The climax of this story is when the thread of light shot from the crevice and fell upon the old man's eye. The narator grew furious as he gazed at it. This propelled the narrator into finally carrying out the act.
The narrator carries out his act of getting rid of what was bothering him in the first place and that was the old man's eye, thats how the conflict was resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment